Virginia Evergreen Libraries Consortium
Overview: In 2012, The Library of Virginia procured Evergreen, an open-source software library catalog system for interested Virginia public libraries that can be integrated into websites and mobile technology. Public libraries below the median local funds expenditure are prioritized. This project is supported by its members, the Library of Virginia, and Equinox, LLC., through funding by the IMLS. If a public library is interested in joining the Virginia Evergreen Libraries (VEL) Consortium, please contact program manager, Nan Carmack.
Tech Support: to access Evergreen support through Equinox, please contact one of our technical contacts who have the authority to open a ticket on your behalf.
- Nan Carmack, LVA, email@example.com, 804/692-3792
- Lisa Davis, Cumberland Co. Public Library, firstname.lastname@example.org, 804/492-5807
- Sarah Largen Terry, Galax-Carrol Regional Library, email@example.com, 276/236-2351 ext. 225
- Judy Harris, Heritage Regional Library, firstname.lastname@example.org, 804/966-2480
- Janet Cox, Wythe-Grayson Regional Library, email@example.com, 276/773-3018
Evergreen Templates, Procedures and Resources
- Inventory Work Flow Template
- Cataloging Procedures/Policies
- Open Library Book Covers for the catalog
- Standardized Report Columns
- Print Receipt Template
- Information on Going Fine Free
- Code of Ethics
Evergreen Release Notes
Our next update will be May 3, 2022 to 3.8.
View the preview provided by Equinox’s Jen Weston here.
Review the documentation here:
Watch this pre-recorded spotlight and come to the training with your questions!
- 3.6 documentation: Includes step by step directions for all things Evergreen
- Evergreen Wiki
- 2022 Maintenance Schedule
- Beginning March 1, 2022, training is mandatory for all Evergreen catalogers. Current catalogers must complete the following by May 1, 2022. Enrollment and completion of the Niche Academy courses produces a certificate of completion. Download the certificate of completion to be submitted to your library director.
- New catalogers/new hires are required to complete the appropriate training within 60 days of hire/promotion.
Additional Training: A wide variety of trainings by Equinox are available at https://vimeo.com/equinoxedu/albums, including:
- Cumberland County Public Library – Added November 19, 2012
- MountainCat (Wythe-Grayson Public Library, Galax-Carroll Public Library) – Added January 2013
- Heritage Public Library – Added January 28, 2013
- Middlesex Public Library – Added July 15, 2013
- Essex County Public Library – Added August 26, 2013
- Amherst Public Library – Added June 2, 2016
- Halifax- South Boston Public Library – Added August 11, 2016
- Iris Brammer Public Library -Added October 2020
- Pearisburg Public Library – Added September 2021
The Library of Virginia will:
- Pay initial costs of migrating data to Virginia Evergreen, as agreed upon in the Equinox Sole Source Contract.
- Maintain a service agreement with Equinox for Evergreen hosting and support. The Library of Virginia will pay all of the initial setup fees, as agreed upon in the sole source documentation. Individual libraries will be expected to pay 75% of on-going costs. The cost will be determined by number of items in the collection as of October 1 of each year.
Participating Libraries will:
- Collaborate in developing certain common policies and shared decision-making for VEL. Individual library entities retains autonomy over their own local operations.
- Maintain active and continuous participation. The designated library entity agrees to abide by the following terms and conditions:
- Accept and comply with the provisions of contractual agreements made by the Library of Virginia on behalf of member libraries and accept responsibility for the acts of its own employees related to these matters.
- Input, maintain, and keep confidential patron records in compliance with the privacy laws in Virginia. Patron’s social security numbers shall not be entered into the system.
- Restrict the creation of data records and operations of the library entity to authorized and trained personnel.
- Abide by VEL cataloging policies.
- Ensure library personnel participation at all appropriate training and authorization.
- Agree to use a Chrome browser in accessing Evergreen.
- Should a library decide to withdraw within 18 months of joining VEL, the library agrees to repay the Library of Virginia all costs incurred. After 18 months, the library agrees to pay Equinox to remove bibliographic records, holdings information and patron information from the database (data extract) and the cost of data cleanup (removing/detaching the library’s records from the database). Exiting libraries should give the Library of Virginia six months notice prior to departure.
The Library Director shall sign, abide by and enforce the Code of Ethics.