State Aid Instructions (pdf)
State Aid Formula
Code of Virginia § 42.1 – 48 contains the formula.
- Local effort: 40% of every [local] dollar expended by the political subdivision(s) in the system. The grant to any county or city shall not exceed $250,000.
- Per capita: Based on population of area served and number of participating municipalities
- 30 cents for the first 600,000 persons served (county or city library) plus 10 cents per capita for each additional jurisdiction (regional)
- Libraries serving in excess of 600,000 receive 10 cents per capita for remaining population
- Square mileage: $10 per square mile for single jurisdiction (county or city) libraries plus an additional $20 per square mile for libraries serving more than one political jurisdiction (regional).
Proration of State Aid
Code of Virginia 42.1 – 50 requires the Library of Virginia to prorate the state aid grants any time the General Assembly fails to provide sufficient funds.