WordPress is a website hosting platform that can be used to create easy, attractive, well-supported, and mobile-ready websites. Currently, the Library of Virginia provides WordPress site hosting, maintenance, support, and training to 25 public libraries. Because library services, databases, resources, and programs are easily discoverable on these sites, patrons of public libraries can be more informed about what their library has to offer them; and library staff appreciates the reduced time spent populating and editing their sites. Contact project manager Barry Trott at firstname.lastname@example.org or 804.239.3510 for any questions or further information.
Training | SiteImprove | Participants
- Prefab-WordPress 101
- Need a refresh on how to best use your library’s website? This session will cover the basics: creating and editing pages, creating and displaying widgets, changing menu items, uploading images, and more. We’ll also have plenty of time for Q&A so come with questions about things you’d like to do on your site.
- Access the recording here: https://my.nicheacademy.com/libraryofvirginia-staff/course/27330
- Prefab-WordPress 201
- This session will feature slightly more advanced topics such as using the full-width template and columns for advanced layout and changing the appearance of your site with CSS. Once again we’ll have time for Q&A so you can get instruction tailored just for you. Linked below are the strings of code referenced in training to create full-width pages as well as columns. Because WordPress only accepts certain types of files for upload, these had to be converted from .txt files to Word docs. If you have trouble with them, you may consider copy and pasting them into Notepad and then copying pasting them in to the text editors of the pages you are working on. Word sometimes has a way of adding spaces that is invisible to the user but messes up the code.
- Access the recording here: https://my.nicheacademy.com/libraryofvirginia-staff/course/29614
- Quarterly WordPress Office Hours: Ask questions and get help from Influx’s Aaron Schmidt and LDND’s Barry Trott
- Tuesday, February 28, 2023; 2:00 – 3:00pm
- Tuesday, May 23, 2023; 2:00 – 3:00pm
- Tuesday, August 22, 2023; 2:00 – 3:00pm
- Tuesday, November 28, 2023; 2:00 – 3:00pm
The link for all the meetings is https://us06web.zoom.us/j/81355717912
If you’d like to submit a question or challenge ahead of time, email Barry at email@example.com.
Contact Barry for any further WordPress training needs.
Included with your WordPress site is SiteImprove, a quality assurance service that allows regular reporting of broken links, misspellings, accessibility issues, etc. This service is provided via a subscription through the Library of Virginia.
- On-demand training for SiteImprove: https://support.siteimprove.com/hc/en-gb/categories/200848163-Support-FAQs
- Dashboard and Report Management: Each library has a designated administrator, usually the WordPress admin. If you are in need of an account reset or to add additional users, please contact Barry Trott at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To log in to SiteImprove, visit this link: https://id.siteimprove.com/
- Find a recording of a SiteImprove overview here. (Recorded 11/30/21)
- Blackwater Regional Library
- Buchanan County Public Library
- Campbell County Public Library
- Caroline County Public Library
- Central Virginia Regional Library
- Charlotte County Public Library
- Craig County Public Library
- Cumberland County Public Library
- Eastern Shore Public Library
- Essex Public Library
- Galax-Carroll County Regional Library
- Halifax-South Boston Public Library
- Heritage Public Library
- Iris Brammer Public Library
- Lynchburg Public Library
- Madison County Public Library
- Middlesex Public Library
- Orange County Public Library
- Pearisburg Public Library
- Pittsylvania County Library
- Rappahannock County Public Library
- Richmond County Public Library
- Russell County Public Library
- Tazewell County Public Library
- Wythe-Grayson Regional Library