Upcoming Live Training
Retention of Minority Librarians – Panel Presentation Webinar — Friday, September 18, 2020 – 2:00p EST
- Libraries try to be warm and welcoming places for everyone, but librarianship isn’t warm and welcoming to everyone who works in libraries. For decades, many initiatives have focused on the retention of minority/under-represented populations, but what happens when we get in? And what is necessary to get us to stay? Presenters will share their experiences on how they have been retained in the profession and share resources for administrations, minority librarians, and more on proven retention strategies.
- Flyer | Speakers Full Bios | Registration closed on 9.16
- Access information to be sent to registrants the day before the event
Personal Planning For Professional Development— Webinar — Monday, September 28, 2020 – 2:00 pm EST
- Whether you are beginning your job or enjoying a long term career, changing careers, or close to retirement, you will optimize your personal time spent in professional development if you learn to plan consciously, make your plan known to your supervisor, make yourself accountable for your professional development and keep good records of your experiences in training, classes, conferences, etc. Learn to make a professional goal setting plan that is driven by your personal needs for growth in your own performance.
- Register Here
- Access information to be sent to registrants on Friday, September 25th.
People Connect Institute (PCI) has course seats with both live and archived webinars. They provide a team of experts in training, organizational development, and continuing education and focus on providing learning-based solutions for library organizations of all types and sizes. These webinars are only available to staff working in libraries located in Virginia.
To access PCI, visit: https://my.nicheacademy.com/
1. If you have already created an account in the Library of Virginia Academy, you will be able to login using the same credentials. If you haven’t set up an account yet you will need to do so. Here are the instructions:
2. Once you have successfully created an account (or logged into your existing account) you will be assigned to the Library of Virginia Academy.
After watching the webinar, you will be asked to complete a follow-up survey (within three months) relaying how you plan to utilize the information gained.
This subscription was made possible through a grant provided by the Institute of Museum and Library Services, Library Services and Technology Act.
- User-centered Assessment: Leveraging What You Know and Filling in the Gaps
- Visualizing Funding for Libraries: You’ve Gathered the Data, Now What?
- Measures That Matter webinar series:
- Customer Service Training Guide
The Library of Virginia has created with nationally known experts online training to assist in your learning:
- Suggested self-paced courses tailored to the beginning library employee.
- Universal Class (Recorded Books)
- Training Video – provides an excellent overview of product use. Participants will need to register to view.
- Novelist (EBSCO)
- Career Transitions, LegalForms, Kids InfoBits (Gale)
- Masterfile – Content and Searching for Library of Virginia (EBSCO)
- Recording – best ways to search using Explora and EBSCOhost
- Rocket Languages
- Universal Class (Recorded Books)
- Visit this page to see the topics and opportunities available from the Library of Virginia to assist in your staff day planning!
- Virtual Programming with Zan and Dan Raynor of Stevens Puppets (recorded Sept. 9, 2020)
- Trauma Informed, Resiliency Oriented Care 101(recorded July 7,2020)
- Trauma Informed, Resiliency Oriented Care for Supervisors (recorded Sept. 11, 2020)
- Southeast Collaborative Online Conference: Recordings of all 14 sessions held in March 2020 with east coast partners, including the Library of Virginia.
- Dyslexia Friendly Libraries
- Reference Round Table – November 2019
- Planning for Programming Success – July 2019
- Inclusive Services Training–Public Libraries are for Everyone!
- Access all materials related to inclusion challenges here.
- Visit this page to find additional recordings of LVA meetings and/or webinars exclusively from Library Development.