State Aid to public libraries in Virginia began with an appropriation by the General Assembly of $50,000 in FY1942-43.State Aid is a formula based grant that encourages the formation of library systems at the regional, county, and city level.
- Required State Aid Documents to be Submitted
- Audit Reporting Requirement
- LDND State Aid FAQ
- Instructions for the Expenditure of State Aid Grants
Four (4) quarterly state aid payments for FY2017 will be disbursed from the Department of Accounts according to the following schedule:
|Month of Payment||EDI Deposit to Locality*||Deadline for Checks to Arrive at Locality**|
|July 2017||July 11, 2017||July 18, 2017|
|October 2017||October 11, 2017||October 18, 2017|
|January 2018||January 11, 2018||January 18, 2018|
|April 2018||April 11, 2018||April 18, 2018|
* EDI (Electronic Data Interchange) deposits to designated banks.
* Paper checks (non-EDI) should be received.
FY2018 State Aid Forms
- FY2018 State Aid Application
- Application for State Aid Fellowship
- Contract with Virginia State Library Board and Board of Trustees of Library Accepting Supervisory Service
Overview of Virginia State Aid
State Aid to public libraries in Virginia began with an appropriation by the General Assembly of $50,000 in FY1942-43.
State Aid is a formula based grant that encourages the formation of library systems at the regional, county, and city level.
To be eligible for a state aid grant, a library must:
- Comply with the Requirements of The Library Board (last amended
in 1991). The major change affected requirement #3 – the “50% of the
median local operating expenditure per capita” replaced a requirement of
expenditures of at least $2.00 per capita.
- Apply for the grant by June 1 of each year
State Aid Formula
Code of Virginia § 42.1 – 48 contains the formula.
- Local effort: 40% of every [local] dollar expended by the
political subdivision(s) in the system. The grant to any county or city
shall not exceed $250,000.
- Per capita: Based on population of area served and number of participating municipalities
cents for the first 600,000 persons served (county or city library)
plus 10 cents per capita for each additional jurisdiction (regional)
- Libraries serving in excess of 600,000 receive 10 cents per capita for remaining population
- Square mileage: $10 per square mile for single jurisdiction
(county or city) libraries plus an additional $20 per square mile for
libraries serving more than one political jurisdiction (regional).
Proration of State Aid
Code of Virginia 42.1 – 50 requires the Library of Virginia to prorate the state aid grants any time the General Assembly fails to provide sufficient funds.
Uses of State Aid
Approximately seventy-three percent of State Aid is used for books and library materials. For many systems, State Aid is the only funding source for materials. Eleven percent is used for salaries for professional librarians. The remaining 15% is used for equipment (including computers), furniture, automation systems, etc.